Evans Harvey Conveyancing Solicitors Crownhill Plymouth
Matrimonial | Conveyancing | Wills & probate | Personal Injury

conveyancing plymouth residential conveyancing solicitor plymouth conveyancers plymouth conveyancing crownhill evans harvey solicitors plymouth

Conveyancing Solicitors Plymouth ~ Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQ )

How long will it take?

If the property is empty and the buyer does not require a mortgage, a sale or purchase can all be completed in a few weeks but this is very unusual.

How soon do I need to pay any money?

Usually if you are purchasing a property your solicitor will ask you for approximately £250.00 at the beginning to cover the search fees that will be paid out on your behalf.

The balance of the price and the solicitors costs etc will be payable shortly before completion. If you are selling you will not need to pay any money in advance. The costs and agents fees will be paid out from the sale proceeds on completion before any balance is sent to you.

What searches are carried out and why?

There are five main types of search that can be carried out and the buyers solicitor will decide which of these are necessary in any particular case.

Local Authority Search This reveals details of the planning history for the property and whether the Council are aware of any breaches of planning, also any proposals for new roads or traffic schemes, tree preservation orders, conservation areas and any other matters within the Council's control that may affect the property.

Drainage Search This will show whether or not the surface and/or foul water drains run into a public or private sewer.

Land Registry Search This is carried out just before completion in order to find out if there are new mortgages registered against the property that have not previously been disclosed. If there are then the buyers solicitor will obviously require confirmation that these will be repaid.

Land Charges Search If you are obtaining a mortgage the lender will ask your solicitor to carry out a search to make sure that are you are not bankrupt ! Quite often this search will show an entry against someone else with a similar name. If so you will be asked to sign a copy of the result to confirm that it does not relate to you.

Environmental Search It has more recently been recommended that the buyers solicitor should also carry out an environmental search to see if there are any landfill or waste disposal sites in the area, if the property has been built on an old industrial site and whether there are any risks from contaminated land,toxic emissions, flooding, subsidence etc.

What do we need to know if we are buying in joint names?

Most couples who are married or in a stable relationship purchase as "joint tenants" which means that upon the death of one or other of them that persons half share will automatically pass to the other.

The alternative is to hold the property as "tenants in common" which means that each persons half share is treated as being separate so that upon the death of one or other of them his or her share will not automatically go to the other but to whoever it has been left to in the deceased person's will or, if there is no will, to his or her next of kin.

If you are putting unequal amounts into the property the person who is paying the larger amount can and often should be protected by a "trust deed" which sets out your respective shares so that in the event of any dispute or upon the death of one or other of you in the future your original intentions will be clearly recorded. Once you have considered the above options and/or if you require further advice you should tell your solicitor so that he or she can make sure that your wishes are carried out.

Why do I need an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required by law when a property is marketed for sale. The EPC will give information as to the efficiency of a property and recommendations as to how to make a property more efficient. As the EPC is needed when a property is marketed it is normally arranged by your estate agent. Make sure you keep the EPC when you move, because you may be able to use it again if your move is short-term.

What is the difference between exchange and completion?

Exchange of contracts takes place once all parties in the chain are ready to exchange and the completion date has been agreed by all parties. When contracts are exchanged there is then a binding agreement for you to buy/sell the property and the completion date is fixed. Following exchange of contracts no-one can pull out of the transaction and the completion date is fixed. Completion is when the money is paid for the property and the ownership of the property changes. On the day of completion the buyer will get the keys to the property and be able to move in..

Should I have a survey?

We would recommend that you have a survey (as well as the obligatory mortgage valuation). The mortgage valuation will be done on behalf of your mortgage lender to confirm for them that the property is worth what you are paying for it, but will not necessarily find any defects or problems with the property. A Homebuyers' Report or Structural Survey will go into greater detail. You should instruct a surveyor who is a member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors. Ask us if you need more information.

Who is responsible for insuring the property?

Under the terms of the sale contract the buyer is responsible for insuring the property from exchange of contracts, and if you are having a mortgage your mortgage lender will make it a condition of your mortgage offer to have insurance from exchange of contracts. You need to have this in place before exchange.

I am buying a leasehold property – what does this mean?

A leasehold property is a property which is subject to a lease. A lease is an agreement to use a property for a period of time without owning it, for example for 99 years. Flats are usually leasehold and shared ownership properties will also be leasehold. The lease will contain various agreements between you as the lessee and the landlord as the lessor. We will explain to you what these are. Under a lease, ground rent is paid (often a nominal amount) and a service charge will be paid to cover the cost the lessor is put to in complying with their requirements under the lease such as insuring the property and maintaining any shared areas.

Evans Harvey Solicitors Plymouth

First established over 30 years ago, Evans Harvey is a highly respected firm of solicitors with offices in Crownhill, Plymouth. We work closely with our individual and business clients offering a full range of services including property and conveyancing, wills, tax and probate, family and matrimonial law, personal injury, company and commercial, employment, litigation and inheritance claims.

  • Communication: We strive to deliver the best possible results for our clients
  • Teamwork: We work together to deliver the highest standard of legal services to our clients
  • Excellence: We always strive for excellence and quality in everything we do
  • Integrity: We encourage honest, open and transparent conversations with our clients
  • Accessible: We are always there for our clients

Evans Harvey hold free drop-in legal advice clinics during the week.

Tuesday 10am-12pm for Wills, Trusts, LPAs and Probate

Tuesday 5pm-6pm which covers general legal matters Cancelled until further notice

Wednesday 10am-12pm they will deal with family law matters

Please call for details, or we are happy to answer any questions you may have

solicitor plymouth divorce solicitor plymouth conveyancing plymouth commercial conveyancing plymouth wills and probate plymouth evans harvey solicitors plymouth

Evans Harvey Solicitors in Crownhill Plymouth

We are a local firm of solicitors in Plymouth who offer a wide range of legal services for both businesses and individuals, for a personal and professional service please get in touch today to speak to one of our friendly team.

  • solicitor plymouth divorce solicitors personal injury solicitors plymouth conveyancing plymouth wills and probate plymouth evans harvey solicitors plymouth
    37 & 39 Morshead Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, PL6 5AD
  • solicitor plymouth divorce solicitors personal injury solicitors plymouth conveyancing plymouth wills and probate plymouth evans harvey solicitors plymouth
    01752 785 715 01752 793 355 (Fax Only)

Hours of Business

solicitor plymouth divorce solicitor plymouth conveyancing plymouth commercial conveyancing plymouth wills and probate plymouth evans harvey solicitors plymouth solicitor plymouth divorce solicitor plymouth conveyancing plymouth commercial conveyancing plymouth wills and probate plymouth evans harvey solicitors plymouth

Copyright © 2017 Evans Harvey Solicitors Plymouth | Web Design Plymouth by New Leaf Web Design Plymouth

  • Evans Harvey Limited. Registered Office: 39 Morshead Road, Crownhill, Plymouth PL6 5AD | Evans Harvey Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (http://www.sra.org.uk) . Regn No 389105 | Registered at: Companies House England/Wales. Registration No 4922571 | Vat Registration No 402 2552 04 | Data Protection Registry Entry No: ZA207817 | The Partner/sole Director of the firm is a Solicitor of England and Wales. Any reference to partner in relation to a firm means a Director of the Company or an employee or consultant of equivalent standing and qualification